Sunday, February 22, 2015

Favorite Academy Award winning performances - supporting actor

Since Oscars have just finished I decided to highlight some of my favorite winning performances and movies. First up I will highlight some of my favorite performances in supporting category (5 male and 5 female), then in leading roles category and at the end I will do my top 10 favorite Oscar winning pictures. 

5. Heath Ledger (posthumous) - The Dark Knight - The Joker

There hasn't been a transformation that impressed me more that Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker. When it was first announced that he was going to play the Joker everyone was baffled (myself included), sure he had proven himself as a good actor but he didn't seem like a good choice for the role. However once movie came out we were all blown away. He was completely absorbed in the role of the Joker and he was completely unrecognizable. If I didn't know previously that he was going to play the Joker I would have never guessed that it was Heath Ledger playing him. His acting and transformation was that impressive. 



4. Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men - Anton Chigurh










 No Country for Old Men is my favorite Coen brothers movie. There is not a single bad performance in this movie, but a true standout was Javier Bardem. In this movie he plays serial killer who seems like a quiet dude with a funny hair, but when you see him speak with other people and his demeanor he becomes one of the scariest characters I've ever seen. Scene bellow shows in the best way the weirdness and the greatness of his performance.

 

3. Kevin Spacey - The Usual Suspects - Roger "Verbal" Kint



I put this with one caveat that this is not actually a supporting performance. Seriously no one had more screen time in this movie than Kevin Spacey. This is not the first time that Academy did this. Spacey played this character so well that none of us saw that ending twist coming. Even though his performance was a bit subdued it was still enjoyable to watch. It was a great performance and a well deserved win.



2. Robert De Niro - The Godfather Part II - Vito Corleone






Robert De Niro is one of the finest actors out there, and his performance in Godfather II was one of his more impressive roles. His portrayal of young Vito Corleone is one of those performances that stay with you for a long time. An amazing actor giving a performance for ages, what is there not to like.


1. Joe Pesci - Goodfellas - Tommy DeVito

There isn't a more memorable performance for me than that of Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. Even though this role was tailor made for Joe Pesci it doesn't really take away from its greatness. He managed to make me laugh almost in every scene he was in, but even when he played it seriously he was really impressive. Maybe he didn't have to stretch a lot for this role, but for me this is my favorite supporting actor winning performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment