Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Top 5 weakest Breaking Bad episodes

After doing top 10 list of my favorite Breaking bad episode it seemed appropriate to make another list, of episodes I feel were the weakest. Generally speaking Breaking Bad had very few episode that can be even criticized. So instead of doing 10 I've decided to make a top 5, but I can't say that even these 5 were bad episodes. 

5. Fly - season 3 episode 10
This is probably the most polarizing episode of Breaking Bad. A lot of people consider this one to be the very worst, and on the other side you have people who think that is brilliant. I land somewhere in the middle. The first time I watched this episode I've really hated it, granted I was zoning out a little bit while I was watching but nevertheless I didn't like it. When I watched it the second time I learned to really appreciate it.  This one is what you call a "bottle episode" taking place entirely in one room (lab in this case). Since Walt's and Jesse's meth yields keep running short  So majority of this episode is spent on Walt trying to catch this fly, and it is pretty clear why people would find this sequence boring. However I felt that this episode showcased in a great way how obsessive Walt can get. In spite some good character stuff and a scene where Walt almost tells Jesse that he watched Jane die this still pretty much felt like filler episode.

4. Bit by a Dead Bee - Season 2, Episode 3
After everything that happened with Tuco in previous episode, Walt and Jesse have to go home and explain where they have been all night. So they come up with some  alibis, Jesse get shacked up with a hooker, and Walt walked into store completely naked so that he can attribute his disappearance to mental lapse. The main reason why this episode is on this list is because I cant think of any memorable scenes from this episode. After the death of Tuco in previous episode of this season (great episode BTW), the show I felt really slowed down. It was pretty obvious that they were trying to build a new story arc but it took them a while to actually get to interesting stuff. It was not until the introduction of Saul that this season really hit it off for me. 


3.I.F.T. - Season 3, Episode 3
This episode didn't really capture my attention all the way through, it felt very ADD with all the jumping between the characters. Everything revolving around Jesse and his troubles with coming to terms with his girlfriend's death felt really uninteresting for me early on. Sure it was necessary to show Jesse coping with death of his girlfriend but I feel that they lingered on it way too much. This episode probably solidified the case for the all Skyler haters (see scene bellow)



2. Green Light - Season 3, Episode 4
Green Light is another episode that didn't really move the plot a whole lot. After Walt finds out that Skyler was cheating on him with her boss Ted he pays a visit to Ted's office. Then Walt goes to Ted's office and there he has one of more hilarious meltdowns. That was for me the most memorable part of this episode, and that is saying something. Some development is actually made when Jesse decides to make his own batch of meth and sell it to Gus. Walt call his batch substandard which pisses off Jesse. The only reason why Gus decided to agree to purchase was to lure Walt to work for him. As attested by previous episode, and this one as well, first few episodes of season 3 haven't been that fun to watch. There just has been very little payoff to things happening early on in this episode. Another thing that really brought down this episode and made it somewhat hard to watch  was Hanks collapse into PTSD, it was just way to depressing to watch. 

1. Open House - Season 4, Episode 3
And finally here we have my least favorite episode of the entire Breaking Bad series. Season 4 is probably my second favorite season overall (season 5 part 2 is my favorite). But before getting to a very climactic finish with episodes filled with tension, we had to go trough some that were not really tension filled. One of these episodes was Open House. For me the biggest fail of this episode was that it focused way to much on Marie and her kleptomania. For me Marie was one of the most uninteresting characters of the show. The whole ordeal with her going trough houses on sale and stealing things inside those houses was neither particularly funny nor that interesting to merit more than a one minute or two of screen time. At the beginning of season 3 we had to watch Jesse cope with his girlfriends' death. At the beginning of season 3 we had to watch him dealing with killing an innocent man. The show just cant give Jesse a break. It was hard watching Jesse going through the same phases of depression And this episode had one of those rare parties, depicted in either movies or TV show, which I wouldn't want to attend even if someone payed me. It was that unappealing. Just like with every Breaking Bad episode there was still some great acting and writing. The way in which Skyler planed and pulled off buying a car wash was really clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment