Monday, February 23, 2015

Thoughts on 87th Academy Awards


So another Academy Award passed and this one was just OK. There weren't any big surprises, and there weren't any fuck ups either. And to be honest I wanted to see something weird, I wanted to see do something controversial. I plan on doing a list on some of my favorite Oscar fuck ups, so more about that would be in other blog. I did my predictions blog in late January and well I did decently, but I missed the mark on some big categories. Out of 23 categories I got 17 correct. I was wrong on best director and best director, I though that Boyhood was going to win since it received most praise and won most awards prior to the Oscars. However I couldn't be happier that Birdman won, since it was my favorite film of 2014. I was really happy to see it win award in this two category.

 Another big category that I guessed wrong was best actor. We all knew that iw would be between Michael Keaton and Eddie Redmayne. Ive picked Keaton since I enjoyed his performance more, and I also felt that Academy would go with veteran actor who probably wonćt have that many opportunities to win an award. Instead Academy went with Redmayne who gave amazing emotional and physical performance. Other acting categories were not surprising. J.K. Simmons and Patricia Arquette won  awards in their respective supporting categories, and deservedly so. Julianne Moore won for best actress, although I would have preferred if Rosamund Pike had won it.


I also guessed wrong in animated movie category. The fact that The LEGO movie, which I felt was by far the best animated movie, didn't even get nominated really made this category kind of bullshit. I've seen all of the nominees in this category and to be honest the two movies that I liked the most had pretty much no chances of winning - The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea. I've picked How to Train Your Dragon 2 since it won at the Golden Globes and was getting most of the buzz. And I factored in the fact that Dreamworks is in financial problems and that they really needed that win. At the end of the day it was no surprise that Disney won it for Big Hero 6.
 All of the short subject and technical awards I guessed right, The other two categories I've guessed wrong were best editing for which I choose Boyhood but it went to a movie I preferred for this award Whiplash, and in best original score.
Neil Patrick Harris was a decent host, most of his jokes worked very well although they were a bit on the safe side. Opening music number was decent, even though at this point I'm really tired of those arbitrary musical numbers. The whole running joke thing with the briefcase I really didn't like.
As far as speeches go there weren't any weird ones. Probably the funniest one was the dude that won an award in best foreign film category for Ida. He was being really sincere and funny, but probably the best thing about his speech was that he simply wasn't going away even after music played him off. Eddie Redmayne had probably the most sincere reaction to winning award releasing some really weird sounds of joy. Inarritu who was up on the stage three times and each time he played it really cool and he had a really good speech inserting a joke every once in a while.
As far as fashion goes I'm not really an expert and I can't give an insight on it, but I swear to God J. Lo was wearing the same dress as she was wearing at Golden Globes where that whole thing with Jeremy Renner's joke happened
 Overall it was a good show, it wasn't a train-wreck as far as the host goes but after that year when James Franco and Anne Hathaway anything is a huge improvement. At least there were no cringe worthy moments and I guess that is enough for this type of award show. I was really happy that Birdman won since it has been a long time since a movie I really felt it was the best of that year actually won a best picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment